A Visalia, California, girl has died after doctors misdiagnosed her bacterial infection as the flu. Alyssa Alcaraz was showing some symptoms of having the flu and with so many others in California coming down with the virus, doctors they were certain that is what she had – but they were wrong, and now Alyssa has died.
The bacterial infection moved quickly through Alyssa’s body and wasn’t discovered until after her death. Mariah Alcaraz recalls the day her sister got sick. “I remember she came home from school and she was throwing up and I thought oh she’s probably got food poisoning shes going to be ok.” But the infection was not food poisoning.
Alyssa’s mom says the doctors told the family that her daughter had the flu. After a few days of staying home from school and not getting better, they took Alyssa back to urgent care. That is when a physician realized the young girl’s oxygen levels were low and she was immediately rushed to Kaweah Delta Medical Center by ambulance.
According to ACB30, within hours, Alyssa’s organs started shutting down and her family says she “coded” (slang referring to a patient in cardiopulmonary arrest) six times. By 2:50 PM Sunday afternoon the young vibrant girl with a passion for music and singing had died. Her death certificate says she went into cardiac arrest and septic shock from a strep blood infection – an infection no one in her family knew she had since doctors said she had the flu.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family with expenses that come with a death. If you would like to donate to Alyssa’s fund, please click here. Our thoughts are with the family of Alyssa Alcaraz during this very difficult time.
Delivered by The Daily Sheeple
We encourage you to share and republish our reports, analyses, breaking news and videos (Click for details).
Contributed by The Daily Sheeple of www.TheDailySheeple.com.
This content may be freely reproduced in full or in part in digital form with full attribution to the author and a link to www.TheDailySheeple.com.