A Free Falling Economy Makes Bartering Go Boom
February 20th, 2013
One thing is for sure, bartering¬†booms during tough economical¬†times.¬† Many situations¬†could cause a person to barter for goods and services. ¬†It could be as simple as neighbors exchanging skills and services¬†to help each other out, or it could be due to economic turmoil, currency inflation, a bug out situation, or natural disaster.
It is safe to say that America is in a full fledged¬†depressionary period¬†and as the people are starting to feel the effects of the economic dead fall, they will look for alternate ways of obtaining products.¬† We are in a bartering economy.¬† In fact, many residents in¬†Massachusettes are turning to¬†bartering¬†goods and services in order to fight off the tight finances of this day and age.
Recently in an article in¬†USA Today, Craigslist postings in the bartering section have gone up 100% according to Craigslist spokesperson, Susan MacTavish Best.
Whatever the case may be, bartering for goods or services, in a SHTF scenario,¬†will be more valuable than the paper dollar.¬† People will need goods to keep them a float, and maintain their survival supplies, as well as to have simple, yet affordable¬†indulgences. ¬†Initially, in¬†a dire situation those that are unprepared will need survival supplies (food, clothing, shelter, clothing and protection).¬† In an economic crisis, skills of knowing how to find food, fixing cars, gardening, making items such as animal pens, etc will be useful in a bartering situation.¬† Having some extra of these items in your¬†long term¬†storage could be used for bartering and trading:
- Baby Formula/Cloth Diapers¬†‚Äď In a bad situation, Mama Bears will do just about anything to take care of their cubs
- Seeds¬†– I cannot stress how important having seeds is to survive.¬† A true prepper is not only prepping for short term situations, but on long term situations and supplies¬†to sustain a family for as long as possible.
- Micro Livestock –¬†¬†Livestock that are small,¬†produce¬†and do not take much to room to thrive¬†such as chickens, ducks, pygmy goats and rabbits can provide food and¬†manure for farming.
- Weapons –¬†In a bad situation having weapons to protect yourself, family and property is priority #1.¬† Having extra weapons and accouterments that go along with weapons will be one of the top bartering items.¬† Items such as: Knives, Hunting Knives (heavy bladed knives for hunting),¬† Ammunition/Guns.¬† When purchasing extra bullets and guns, stick with the most popular models.
- Mason Jars¬†– Preserving your garden foods, meat, etc will provide food during the cold, winter months.¬† Many people, especially in the city no longer preserve their foods on their own.¬† They will need canning jars.
- First Aid Kits¬†– In any article regarding bugging out, and preparing for a given emergency, a first aid kit full of supplies is always mentioned.¬† These days, people are not prudent and do not prepare for the worst.¬† First aid supplies, such as suturing needles, thread, saline solution, gauze and¬†celoxwill be in high demand.
- Vitamins ‚Äď¬†Keeping your self healthy and illness free is a top priority.¬† If a person becomes vitamin deficient, ailments such as scurvy will become prevalent.
- Tools¬†‚Äď Simple hand tools are an essential on any supply list.¬† Pick axes, hand saws, shovels,¬†¬†hammers, wrenches, and screw drivers.
- Fire Starting Gear¬†‚Äď Everyone wants a nice fire to cozy up to.¬† Maintaining proper body heat is essential to our health as well as our mental health.¬† So stock up on lighters, waterproof matches, flints, etc.
- Honey and Sugar¬† ‚Äď This item is not a necessity, but it would be a popular item and would give a break from the mundane, bland meals.¬† Honey can be used for medicinal uses such as alleviating diarrhea, and¬†can be¬†used as¬†a base for cough medicines.
- Silver and Gold Coins –¬†Silver coins and 1964 US quarters, and small gold coins if the SHTF will be the best form of currency.¬†¬†Large silver and gold bars¬†may be¬†harder to barter with.¬†¬†¬†¬† Plan on silver and gold to be the only monetary currency available ‚Äď and stock up!
- Vegetable Oil¬†– Use it for cooking and combine oil and herbs to make flavored oils.¬† When you are finished with the oil, then the used oil¬†to make diesel fuel.¬†¬†Further,¬†use ¬†the byproduct, glycerin to make soap.
- Gasoline¬†‚Äď People will need gas and lots of it to power their vehicles and farming equipment.¬† In a bug out situation, do not have a lot on hand in the instance a mob or dangerous person tries to steal it from you.¬† Carry multiple 5 gallon containers of it.¬† The 1 ounce silver coins could be used to purchase 1 gallon of gas, etc.
- Fishing Supplies¬†–¬†Having alternative ways to catch food is always a good supply to have on hand.¬† Fishing equipment is very lightweight and¬†the hooks, line and lures do not take up space in a bag.
- Medicines¬†‚Äď Many rely on store bought medicines and do not have the knowledge to make their own.¬† If they can buy medicines to relieve ailments, they will.
- Boots¬†– I cannot stress the importance of having a good pair of boots.¬† Military grade boots that have flexible soles and deep tread are the best type of shoes to have as far as walking/hiking in nature go.
- Coffee/Teas¬†‚Äď This is one of those simple indulgences that many of us can‚Äôt live without.
- Liquor¬†‚Äď Some like to kick back and try and forget the hard times.¬† Liquor can be made from almost anything: fruit, cactus, potatoes, rice,¬†even honey.
- Cigarettes/Tobacco¬†‚Äď Many cannot kick the habit of tobacco.¬† This is another indulgent item that many will do just about anything to get.
Delivered by The Daily Sheeple
Contributed by Tess Pennington
of Ready Nutrition.
Please share: Spread the word to sheeple far and wide
Leave A Comment...
The Daily Sheeple Home Page